My Blog List

Monday, August 31, 2009

I put out a newsletter from my website this morning and in it I said that I'd found a really good recipe for pizza sauce. As result I've had a number of people ask me for the recipe -- so here it is.

New York Style Pizza Sauce

7 T. water
2 T. chopped fresh basil (dried basil will work too but you might have to adjust the amount)
1 1/2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 (14.5 oz) can petite-cut diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste.

Combine all ingredients and mix. Yield is about 3 cups.

Notes:
I've been using about 2 cups of peeled, seeded diced tomatoes from my garden rather than the canned petite-cut and it's even better than the original recipe. You might want to add just a pinch of salt but I've discovered that if I use pepperoni on the pizza it really doesn't need the salt. I use about 1 cup of sauce for a pizza.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! When my garden was a productive asset, I would have loved to have this recipe. Lately, blight has taken out our tomatoes year after year...I think it is probably soil borne now...I don't know much about it, but it is discouraging not having a bumper crop of tomatoes to look forward to....so, I'll just use the canned variety for now and pray for better years in the future....

    ReplyDelete